Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Can bacula change the ctime on files during a backup?

2008-08-06 12:53:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Can bacula change the ctime on files during a backup?
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, baculausers <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 09:53:10 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Tue, 7/22/08, Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com> wrote:

> From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-devel] Can bacula change the ctime on files during a
> backup?
> To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
> Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2008, 3:27 PM
> --- On Tue, 7/22/08, Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
> wrote:
>
> > From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
> > Subject: Re: [Bacula-devel] Can bacula change the
> ctime on files during a backup?
> > To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
> > Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2008, 1:25 PM
> > On Tuesday 22 July 2008 18:37:14 John Drescher wrote:
> > > There is a long thread in the users list that a
> user
> > is getting nearly
> > > full backups for his incrementals with
> bacula-2.4.X
> > and it was
> > > discovered that the reason was that the ctime on
> files
> > was changing
> > > between backups. He believes that bacula is doing
> this
> > but I am not so
> > > sure.
> >
> > Almost anything is possible, but there have been no
> changes
> > in the way Bacula
> > does backups for quite a few versions, so I doubt that
> > Bacula is doing it.
> > Typically it is virus protection software.
> >
> > If he can provide proof positive, i.e. disable all
> software
> > other than Bacula
> > do a backup and show that file times change, then that
> > might be worth looking
> > at.  Also, if it is one user only one user having the
> > problem, it points the
> > finger elsewhere.  Finally, I am running 2.4.1 here
> and
> > have been since
> > before it was released, and I am seeing normal
> Incremental
> > backups.
> >
> > Thanks for mentioning this ...  I'll take a look
> at the
> > thread.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Kern

> > Developer's challenge
> > Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin
> SDK
> > & win great prizes
> > Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event
> > anywhere in the world

>   I upgraded the server to 2.4.1. I will run another full
> cycle starting today. I have also written a cronjob that
> will run every hour and stat few files, some on local disk
> and some on NFS filesystems. I am having problem on bacula
> server so I will be running the script on bacula server
> machine which only runs bacula, and postgresql.
>

> Will see if I get problem with 2.4.1.
>
> Hemant Shah
> E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com

> Developer's challenge
> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK
> [...]

Folks,

  It did it again. Last weekend was another start of the month full backup,
then it was time to to the incremental backup, bacula did a full or almost full
backup again, only on some clients, and few were not same as last time.

Here are the clients that had problem:

-rw-r----- 1 root root 1.9G 2008-08-02 16:07 Full-lidp5-2008-08-02-15:46:51
-rw-r----- 1 root root 1.8G 2008-08-03 22:23 Incr-lidp5-2008-08-03-22:03:06
-rw-r----- 1 root root 3.7M 2008-08-04 22:02 Incr-lidp5-2008-08-04-22:02:33
-rw-r----- 1 root root 3.0M 2008-08-05 22:03 Incr-lidp5-2008-08-05-22:03:05

-rw-r----- 1 root root 19G 2008-08-02 17:39 Full-lidp8-2008-08-02-15:48:08
-rw-r----- 1 root root 19G 2008-08-04 00:05 Incr-lidp8-2008-08-03-22:05:13
-rw-r----- 1 root root 45M 2008-08-04 22:19 Incr-lidp8-2008-08-04-22:02:58
-rw-r----- 1 root root 15M 2008-08-05 22:20 Incr-lidp8-2008-08-05-22:03:29

-rw-r----- 1 root root 5.5G 2008-08-02 18:59 Full-lidp10-2008-08-02-17:24:03
-rw-r----- 1 root root 3.7G 2008-08-03 23:28 Incr-lidp10-2008-08-03-22:05:34
-rw-r----- 1 root root  17M 2008-08-04 22:05 Incr-lidp10-2008-08-04-22:03:34
-rw-r----- 1 root root  17M 2008-08-05 22:06 Incr-lidp10-2008-08-05-22:04:36

-rw-r----- 1 root root  58G 2008-08-02 22:36 Full-lidp11-2008-08-02-17:50:02
-rw-r----- 1 root root  56G 2008-08-04 02:52 Incr-lidp11-2008-08-03-22:12:39
-rw-r----- 1 root root 3.0G 2008-08-04 22:42 Incr-lidp11-2008-08-04-22:05:15
-rw-r----- 1 root root 3.8G 2008-08-05 22:52 Incr-lidp11-2008-08-05-22:05:37

-rw-r----- 1 root root 6.4G 2008-08-02 21:22 Full-lidp20-2008-08-02-19:30:22
-rw-r----- 1 root root 5.8G 2008-08-03 23:45 Incr-lidp20-2008-08-03-22:13:43
-rw-r----- 1 root root  30M 2008-08-04 22:15 Incr-lidp20-2008-08-04-22:07:51
-rw-r----- 1 root root  30M 2008-08-05 22:16 Incr-lidp20-2008-08-05-22:08:27

-rw-r----- 1 root root 6.7G 2008-08-02 21:56 Full-lidp22-2008-08-02-21:09:01
-rw-r----- 1 root root 4.6G 2008-08-03 23:28 Incr-lidp22-2008-08-03-22:47:34
-rw-r----- 1 root root  19M 2008-08-04 22:18 Incr-lidp22-2008-08-04-22:15:49
-rw-r----- 1 root root  19M 2008-08-05 22:19 Incr-lidp22-2008-08-05-22:16:27

I am backing up 26 clients (AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Win2k server), problem only
occurs on some clients, and they are not same clients every time. The problem
has never occured on a AIX or windows client.

I am also running veritas netbackup in parallel (my old backup system). I am
reluctantly attributing the problem to the netbackup, because if netbackup
changes ctime why doesn't it change it on all the systems and why not same
systems every time. In many cases bacula does almost full backup, if netbackup
is changing ctime it would change it on all files and bacula would backup all
files too.

I will have to wait for few more months before I shutdown netbackup system and
run only bacula. If the problem goes away after that then I will know it was
netbackup.

I am running bacula 2.4.2 on server (fc9 64-bit) and all the clients are at
2.2.8.

Hemant Shah
E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com