Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: SourceForge.net Project Web/Shell/Database Migration on 2008-08-18

2008-08-07 01:55:44
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: SourceForge.net Project Web/Shell/Database Migration on 2008-08-18
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "bacula-devel" <bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 07:55:09 +0200
FYI

Date: Wednesday 06 August 2008
From: "SourceForge.net Team" <noreply AT sourceforge DOT net>
To: kern AT sibbald DOT com

Greetings,

The date for the migration of the project web, database and shell services
to the new Chicago data center is 2008-08-18 starting at 05:00 Pacific
(12:00 UTC). This message is being sent to project admins to let you know
what to expect ahead of time. Should someone else on your team who is not a
project admin need this information, forward it to them. Please note, this
migration will involve a service downtime, as detailed below.

List of changes by service:

Project Web - http://sf.net/community/forum/topic.php?id=2840
Project Shell - http://sf.net/community/forum/topic.php?id=2838
Project Database - http://sf.net/community/forum/topic.php?id=2839

Here's how we are going to do the migration:

1. We will revoke write access to all project content on the project shell
service, web and database. Read operations will continue to work in the old
data center. Some applications may be impacted by lack of write access.
There is no need to report such issues to us during the migration.

2. We will disable shell access.

3. We will have already copied the data to the new data center. A final
copy of all project group file content and /tmp/persistent content will be
sent to the new data center at this time.

4. We will confirm proper service operation.

5. DNS will be updated to point to the new data center.

6. Projects will then need to make application changes and move data to new
locations to match software to new data center environment.

We expect the data copy and service cutover to take about 8 hours. This is
exclusive of MySQL database migration.

While the above steps are happening we will be checking, fixing, dumping
and restoring databases from the old data center to the new. We currently
have no estimate as for how long that will take, but believe it will likely
take a few days. For projects that absolutely need their DB moved over
first, they should create a table named 'ch3priority', case sensitive, in
the important databases. We'll migrate those over first. Please only flag a
database as important if you can't wait as it will hold up other key
databases for projects from being imported as early as possible.

To address any questions users may have regarding this migration, we will
also be scheduling an IRC meeting with the SourceForge.net Service
Operations team. This meeting will be held on 2008-08-14 at 08:00 Pacific
(15:00 UTC) on irc.slashnet.org channel #sourceforge. Alternately, you may
submit your inquiries by Support Request at:
https://sf.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=1&atid=200001

Thank you,

The SourceForge.net Team

and request account removal at:
http://sourceforge.net/account/remove_account.php

Or contact us by postal mail at:
Attn:  SourceForge.net Legal Services - Account Removal
SourceForge, Inc.
650 Castro Street, Suite 450
Mountain View, CA  94041

Unsubscribe requests will be processed within 10 days of receipt.