Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Can bacula change the ctime on files during a backup?

2008-08-06 13:31:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Can bacula change the ctime on files during a backup?
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 19:30:50 +0200
On Wednesday 06 August 2008 18:53:10 Hemant Shah wrote:
> [...]

Perhaps there is some configuration parameter that is not set correctly, and
when it references the files, it does not always reset the time/date
correctly on some particular backup level ...

I would recommend that you talk to Veritas about the problem without
mentioning Bacula.  Unless you configure Bacula differently, it checks both
mtime and ctime, so if netbackup modified either one of them, Bacula would
treat the file as having changed.  If you configure Bacula differently, you
can make it ignore ctime changes.

One thing you could do (perhaps some bacula-users list guys can help if you
need it) is to run a Bacula verify InitCatalog on one or more of the affected
systems just before running netbackup then after you run netbackup run a
verify catalog to see what files have changed.  You can set the parameters of
the verify to compare only mtime and ctime.  That way, you can definitively
determine whether or not netbackup is modifying anything on your system.

> I will have to wait for few more months before I shutdown netbackup system
> and run only bacula. If the problem goes away after that then I will know
> it was netbackup.

I'll be *very* surprised if it turns out to be related to Bacula itself as
this is such a fundamental problem that it surely would have shown up on a
good number of other user's systems, which is not the case.

> I am running bacula 2.4.2 on server (fc9 64-bit) and all the clients are at
> 2.2.8.

The 2.2.8 clients should be 100% compatible with 2.4.2, but I always recommend
that you upgrade as soon as possible ...

Best regards,

Kern