Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple pools in a single tape?

2008-08-05 12:44:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple pools in a single tape?
From: Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas <rr_rosas AT yahoo.com DOT br>
To: Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 13:47:32 -0300

Ryan Novosielski escreveu:

Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas wrote:

Not that I am complaing about that (I've already complained to the right
person, but he didn't hire anyone else yet). Actually, I like learning
new things, but the problem is that I'm not that good to reach the
expectations about what I am supposed to do in the desired deadlines.

Not to make light of your plight (as it is lousy), but that is most of
us. The nice thing about backups, though, is that if you spend some time
thinking things through, you can set it up, implement it, and write down
what you did and that's essentially it. If you take a few days to get
things going properly, you will have nothing much to do relating to
backups. If you can pass the tape change off to someone else that is
good with following directions like this, you may need no input
whatsoever (other than an occasional restore test to make sure what
you're doing actually is working).

Well, I already tried to ask a colleague to do a simple task once a week: move some files to a new folder and delete the older one. I do it in 10 seconds every Friday. It is so simple that I'm lazy to write a ".bat" for doing that. But guess what. In the 3 times I needed him to this simple task due to vacation or business traveling, even remembering him in the prior day, he couldn't remember. There is no other colleague to ask such thing. I learned that if someone is to change the tape, that has to be me, at least until someone new is hired...

But, even if I have someone to rely on, I would still have another problem: if I need to separate a tape for e-mail and other for normal data and want both backups to be made at night, no one could wait at night to change the tapes...

Rodrigo.