Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VSS failure backing up Exchange on Windows Server 2008 64bit

2008-08-04 14:01:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VSS failure backing up Exchange on Windows Server 2008 64bit
From: David Denney <ddenney AT denverartmuseum DOT org>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:00:55 -0600
On 8/4/08 11:14 AM, "Bruno Friedmann" <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch> wrote:
> On budget crisis, I've recommanded a ldap/samba/postfix/imap/davical linux
> solutions :-)
> Which can of course could be easily backup by Bacula even on 64bits systems.
> But I could easily imaging that the decision is not only yours. ...

Yea, we standardized on Exchange before I came. Microsoft gives us software
at their highest discount rate, so its not much of an investment. Our old
backup system (Unitrends) doesn't support Win2K8 at all (or Unicode
filenames!), and they charged something like $7000/yr for support. I was
hoping Bacula would replace it, easily, and do more. Guess it does, but it
still doesn't do all of what we need (yet).

> The only other way you could backup your system waiting a full native support
> is
> to Snapshot the system with microsoft tools and get the snaps take by bacula
> on a share.
> No nice solution, just a working one if you get some place to stock the temp
> snaps.

Yea I'm using scheduled snapshots right now to effect this, but I'm not as
confident in the Microsoft tools. If they hadnt removed 'ntbackup' from
Win2k8 then we'd be fine ... :/

--
David Denney
Network Technician