Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] make_catalog_backup cannot stat bacula.sql

2008-08-04 11:32:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] make_catalog_backup cannot stat bacula.sql
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Kendall Shaw <kshaw AT kendallshaw DOT com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 11:31:15 -0400
On Aug 3, 2008, at 8:41 PM, Kendall Shaw wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 12:04 +0200, Ralf Gross wrote:
>> Kendall Shaw schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm checking again to see if anyone knows what the problem can be
>>> here.
>>> Any advice on how to debug?
>>>
>>> Bacula 2.2.8 on OpenBSD 4.3 on amd64
>>>
>>> My job:
>>>
>>> Job {
>>>   Name = pokey-catalog
>>>   Type = Backup
>>>   Level = Full
>>>   FileSet = pokey-catalog
>>>   Messages = Standard
>>>   Pool = pokey-pool
>>>   Client = pokey-fd
>>>   Schedule = daily-after-backup
>>>   # This creates an ASCII copy of the catalog
>>>   RunBeforeJob = "/usr/local/libexec/bacula/make_catalog_backup
>>> bacula
>>> bacula"
>>>   # This deletes the copy of the catalog
>>>   RunAfterJob  = "/usr/local/libexec/bacula/delete_catalog_backup"
>>>   Write Bootstrap = "/var/bacula/BackupCatalog.bsr"
>>>   Priority = 11                   # run after main backup
>>> }
>>>
>>> Unchanged from the example that comes with bacula, except for the
>>> names.
>>>
>>> If I run the RunBeforeJob command line as the bacula user
>>> (_bacula), it
>>> creates /var/bacula/bacula.sql. The script make_catalog_backup is
>>> unchanged from what comes in the openbsd package. It looks the
>>> same as
>>> what comes with bacula source distribution.
>>>
>>> Yet, when the job is run, it complains that it can't
>>> stat /var/bacula/bacula.sql. An example from the log:
>>>
>>> 21-Jul 03:00 archie-dir JobId 18: BeforeJob: run command
>>> "/usr/local/libexec/bacula/make_catalog_backup bacula bacula"
>>> 21-Jul 03:00 archie-dir JobId 18: Start Backup JobId 18,
>>> Job=pokey-catalog.2008-07-21_03.00.27
>>> 21-Jul 03:00 archie-dir JobId 18: There are no more Jobs
>>> associated with
>>> Volume "Vol0009". Marking it purged.
>>> 21-Jul 03:00 archie-dir JobId 18: All records pruned from Volume
>>> "Vol0009"; marking it "Purged"
>>> 21-Jul 03:00 archie-dir JobId 18: Recycled volume "Vol0009"
>>> 21-Jul 03:00 archie-dir JobId 18: Using Device "pokey-storage"
>>> 21-Jul 03:00 archie-sd JobId 18: Recycled volume "Vol0009" on device
>>> "pokey-storage" (/usr/local/archive/pokey), all previous data lost.
>>> 21-Jul 03:00 archie-dir JobId 18: Max Volume jobs exceeded. Marking
>>> Volume "Vol0009" as Used.
>>> 21-Jul 03:06 pokey-fd JobId 18:      Could not
>>> stat /var/bacula/bacula.sql: ERR=No such file or directory
>>
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.bacula.user/46466/
>>
>> Ralf
>
> Ralf is quoting this message, which I didn't see before:
>
>> I've not followed this thread closely, but you are running a
>> backup of
>> pokey-fd. Do you expect the bacula.sql file there or on archie-dir
>> where you ran the make_catalog_backup command?
>>
>> Ralf
>
> I expect bacula.sql to be on the machine that archie-dir is running
> on (archie). I expect bacula to expect that too. Is that wrong?

Seems right.

It seems your RunBeforeJob is not doing what you expect.  I suggest
running it from the command line and see what happens.

Ensure the script (/usr/local/libexec/bacula/make_catalog_backup)
creates the file you are trying to backup (/usr/local/archive/pokey).

NOTE what Ralf said:

It is pokey-fd that is expecting to find /var/bacula/bacula.sql on
its local machine.

Perhaps this job should be run on archie-fd, not pokey-fd.
--
Dan Langille -- http://www.langille.org/