Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula dir 1.38 with newer bacula fd 2+?

2008-08-04 11:10:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula dir 1.38 with newer bacula fd 2+?
From: Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 11:09:42 -0400

Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I am a new user to bacula. I was able to setup bacula on debian and
>>> configure/understand the whole setup in 2 days.
>>>
>>> I have already implemented backup on 2 linux clients, and now I am
>>> trying to do similar with windows clients.
>>>
>>> My debian stable version of bacula is 1.38, can I use a newer bacula
>>> fd on windows clients (windows server 2000) ex. 2.2 or 2.4? Or should
>>> I stay with 1.38?
>> If you're only just getting started, is there any compelling reason to
>> run with 1.38 on the director?
>
> Yes. That is the version that comes with Debian stable.
>
> aptitude install bacula
>
> and I am done (almost).
>
> The newer version would be possible to install but then I will would
> have to manage bacula and its dependency(libc libgcc which get
> complicated fast) instead of system managing itself. Other then that,
> if 1.38 does the job and there is no known big issues I will wait
> until the next release of Debian which should come with 2.4.1 bacula.

It looks like 2.4.1 lives in etch-backports, at first glance, which
would still allow the system to manage itself and would give you a nice
new version to start with. I agree with you -- use the package manager,
not source (there's no good reason to deal with that oneself that I can
see), but there are ways to get newer versions for your particular
distro, either outside of the main repository or from third parties. Or
don't -- just a suggestion. :)

> You can get Debian packages of newer
>> versions here and there around the internet (I don't run Bacula on
>> Debian right now, so I couldn't say where).
>>
>> I believe the answer is yes to your question, however: you can run newer
>> clients with the old director if I'm not mistaken.
>
> I guess I will try running 1.38 first and see how that goes.
>
>>> I wrote a little manual/howto on bacula while I was learning.
>>> http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/Bacula
>> The documentation is nice. If nothing else, it will save you some
>> trouble if you ever have to do this in an emergency. I've been slowly
>> learning the value myself -- thanks for contributing!

- --