Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula dir 1.38 with newer bacula fd 2+?

2008-08-04 11:03:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula dir 1.38 with newer bacula fd 2+?
From: "Lukasz Szybalski" <szybalski AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Ryan Novosielski" <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 10:02:51 -0500
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
wrote:

> Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am a new user to bacula. I was able to setup bacula on debian and
>> configure/understand the whole setup in 2 days.
>>
>> I have already implemented backup on 2 linux clients, and now I am
>> trying to do similar with windows clients.
>>
>> My debian stable version of bacula is 1.38, can I use a newer bacula
>> fd on windows clients (windows server 2000) ex. 2.2 or 2.4? Or should
>> I stay with 1.38?
>
> If you're only just getting started, is there any compelling reason to
> run with 1.38 on the director?

Yes. That is the version that comes with Debian stable.

aptitude install bacula

and I am done (almost).

The newer version would be possible to install but then I will would
have to manage bacula and its dependency(libc libgcc which get
complicated fast) instead of system managing itself. Other then that,
if 1.38 does the job and there is no known big issues I will wait
until the next release of Debian which should come with 2.4.1 bacula.

You can get Debian packages of newer
> versions here and there around the internet (I don't run Bacula on
> Debian right now, so I couldn't say where).
>
> I believe the answer is yes to your question, however: you can run newer
> clients with the old director if I'm not mistaken.

I guess I will try running 1.38 first and see how that goes.