Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Possible hosting Bacula on Launchpad

2008-08-04 10:53:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Possible hosting Bacula on Launchpad
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 15:52:16 +0100 (BST)
On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For some time (several years), I have been unhappy with the service offered by
> the Source Forge hosting for the Bacula project.  Aside from being very slow
> to the point that we have often been unable to upload releases for several
> days, they have now gone what I would call "commercial", which means that
> there are commercial ads plastered all over the place including all the
> pages -- even the developer only release pages.

My solution is another opensource product:

Firefox.

Install the following extensions:

noscript (stops scripts running until you authorise the site)
adblock plus (and the adblock filter packs)
flashblock (stops flash animations starting until yuo allow them)

Restart firefox and watch those websites fly...

>  I find it quite annoying to
> have these moving, scrolling, blinking images advertising commercial software
> such as Zmanda, GoodSync, ... all claiming to be Open Source or free.

Wait till you see the microsoft adverts there...

WRT the rest, sponsorship is an essential part of operating a "free"
website, especially when it is as high traffic as sourceforge, but there
comes a time when it becomes intrusive and I agree with the idea of oving
to Luanchpad.

AB