Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Possible hosting Bacula on Launchpad

2008-08-04 10:20:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Possible hosting Bacula on Launchpad
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 16:19:10 +0200
Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For some time (several years), I have been unhappy with the service offered
> by
> the Source Forge hosting for the Bacula project.  Aside from being very slow
> to the point that we have often been unable to upload releases for several
> days, they have now gone what I would call "commercial", which means that
> there are commercial ads plastered all over the place including all the
> pages -- even the developer only release pages.  I find it quite annoying to
> have these moving, scrolling, blinking images advertising commercial software
> such as Zmanda, GoodSync, ... all claiming to be Open Source or free.
>
> I didn't realize until a few days ago that Canonical had opened Lauchpad last
> November for Open Source projects.  Currently MySQL is being hosted there.
> Launchpad provides a whole pile of very significant improvements for hosting
> an Open Source project that do not exist with what we are currently using.
> Considering that Ubuntu and MySQL are both using Launchpad, I expect that it
> has more than enough capacity and features to meet our needs.
>
> As I see it, there would be two major difference between what we are
> currently
> doing and what Launchpad offers (not to mention all kinds of good tools that
> we are not using).  The first is the use of Bazaar rather than Subversion for
> repository control. Bazaar allows anyone to make his own branch of an
> official Bacula branch and to request merging in the Bacula trunk, which is
> reported to be very easy.  The second major change would be the bug reporting
> system, which can be accessed both by a Web interface as we have for Mantis,
> but also by direct email input ...
>
> I suggest you take a look at the features that are available in Launchpad and
> at the skeleton of a Bacula project that is already there.  Launchpad in
> general can be found at:
>
>   https://launchpad.net/
>
> and Bacula in particular at:
>
>   https://launchpad.net/bacula
>
> I am still working on understanding the Launchpad system, but what I have
> seen
> so far is very impressive.  At the current time, the SVN is being imported
> into Launchpad, and the bugs database is not yet approved for import.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Kern

I'm agree with the description of SF.

About bazaar, I was lost in only 10 click ( that's why they call it bazaar :-)
I feel that you leave to easily the bacula project and jump to another thing
without being noticed

For example I click to code next to lp:~vcs-imports/bacula/trunk
And then reclick to overview ... (thinking I goes back from where I was ) but
in fact this is the overview to VCS project.

Quite confusing ... In SF I never jump from one project to another.

It's just my 2cts in 65 secondes experience :-)

--

      Bruno Friedmann

Ioda-Net Sàrl   - www.ioda-net.ch
   2830 Vellerat - Switzerland