Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Can't label tapes

2008-07-30 13:20:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Can't label tapes
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, Stephan Jennewein <xt3 AT cccmz DOT de>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:20:29 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 7/30/08, Stephan Jennewein <xt3 AT cccmz DOT de> wrote:

> From: Stephan Jennewein <xt3 AT cccmz DOT de>
> Subject: [Bacula-users] Can't label tapes
> To: "bacula" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
> Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 9:19 AM
> Hi,
>
> I got some new tapes in my tapelibrary which where used by
> another non backup
> application earlier. I added them in bacula with
> 'add' my pools have auto
> label enabled, but by these tapes bacula always tells me
> that it can't label.
> If I try it manually it doesn't work, too. Where's
> the problem? Do I have to
> erase these tapes before using them in bacula or is there a
> 'force' option
> for labeling tapes or how do I get more debugging info?
>
> Stephan

> Developer's challenge
> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK
> & win great prizes
> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event
> anywhere in the world

What error message do you get?

Couple of things to check:

1) Are the tape compatible with the tape drive?
2) Are the tape write protected? Check the tab on the tape.

Try to write to the tape using dd command to see it tapes are compatible with
the tape drive.

dd of=/dev/tapedevice if=/dev/zero bs=32k count=2

Hemant Shah
E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com