Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Can't label tapes

2008-07-30 10:31:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Can't label tapes
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Stephan Jennewein <xt3 AT cccmz DOT de>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:30:07 +0100 (BST)
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Stephan Jennewein wrote:

> I got some new tapes in my tapelibrary which where used by another non backup
> application earlier. I added them in bacula with 'add' my pools have auto
> label enabled, but by these tapes bacula always tells me that it can't label.

Bacula can only automagically label "unformatted" (blank) tapes, or tapes
with no formatting information on them and no label (2 EOFs at the start)

You will have to put labels on the used tapes yourself using btape, or
write 2 EOFs to the tapes and then label the inside the bacula console.

> If I try it manually it doesn't work, too. Where's the problem?

They have a foreign fileformat on them.

writing 2 eofs at the start of the tape may be enough to be able to label
them inside the Bacula Console.

> Do I have to
> erase these tapes before using them in bacula or is there a 'force' option
> for labeling tapes or how do I get more debugging info?
>
> Stephan

Sending anything by unencrypted email is the internet equivalent of writing on
the back of a post
card that anyone might be able to see.