Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] volumes marked status "Error" in bacula version 2.4.0

2008-07-08 17:34:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] volumes marked status "Error" in bacula version 2.4.0
From: Stephen Carr <sgcarr AT civeng.adelaide.edu DOT au>
To: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 07:04:14 +0930
Dear Bob

I saw this problem when I reported a major bug with 2.4.0 I recommend
you go back to 2.2.8 until Kern and others release a fix.

Kern could not repeat the error you and I seem to see. The system seems
to be comparing the tape in the catalog and the tape in the unit.

The tapes are physically OK but the data is being overwritten on the
tape in the unit.

Kern issued a warning regarding the problem - it seems to occur with
those changing the tapes manually.

Regards
Stephen Carr

Bob Hetzel wrote:
> I'm not exactly sure where this is coming from, but I'm having a
> situation where every few days some tapes get marked with volume status
> Error.
>
> An example from a job e-mail when it happens is...
> 07-Jul 19:34 gyrus-sd JobId 23395: Volume "LTO238L2" previously written,
> moving to end of data.
> 07-Jul 19:34 gyrus-sd JobId 23395: Error: Bacula cannot write on tape
> Volume "LTO238L2" because:
> The number of files mismatch! Volume=49 Catalog=48
> 07-Jul 19:34 gyrus-sd JobId 23395: Marking Volume "LTO238L2" in Error in
> Catalog.
>
> There's nothing wrong with the tapes.  I believe I can set the files
> count to the right number and change the status to Append and things
> work properly after that point.  This issue just started after I
> upgraded to 2.4.0 I think.
>
> Is anybody else seeing this?

Stephen Carr
Computing Officer
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
The University of Adelaide
Tel +618-8303-4313
Fax +618-8303-4359
Email sgcarr AT civeng.adelaide.edu DOT au

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and
contains information that may be confidential and/or copyright.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender
by reply email and immediately delete this email. Use, disclosure
or reproduction of this email by anyone other than the intended
recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No representation is made
that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus
scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.