Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Job Definition

2008-07-02 16:58:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Job Definition
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:58:24 +0200
Hi,

02.07.2008 22:44, Salvador Climent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I'm trying to make a backup service for different clients (companies not
> computers ;)) using Bacula.
>
> And the clients have to be able to set their own backup configuration
> (Jobs, schedules, filesets...).
>
> Do you now how can I achieve that? I was searching and I didn't find
> anything.

That's a bit difficult.

In my opinion, you don't want to have users (even if they are paying
clients) modifying the backup configuration.

I believe that you should either provide them with a simple front-end
where thy can select which directories to back up, and how long to
keep these backups, and when to run them and you create a the
necessary resources from it which can then be included in Bacula
configuration.

I wouldn't allow them real access to the configuration.

The point is - *you*'d have to create that front-end.

Generating a configuration (part) from, for example, information
stored in a database and some template is rather simple, though. The
hard part is getting the information there :-)

Arno

> El dt 01 de 07 de 2008 a les 15:12 +0200, en/na Arno Lehmann va
> escriure:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 01.07.2008 13:07, Salvador Climent Bayarri wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to define Jobs and FileSets over the console?
>> No.
>>
>> Bacula's configuration is entirely kept in the configuration files,
>> and Bacula itself can can not write those.
>>
>>> I've been
>>> searching and I've seen that an user can enable or dissable a Job but
>>> not create it.
>> You could create a job that uses a (static or dynamically created)
>> fileset from the client machine, and even override the client it runs
>> on from the console.
>>
>> I don't like users controlling their backups, though. They screw it
>> up, and you get the blame. No thanks ;-)
>>
>> Arno
>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Salva.

Arno Lehmann