Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] tapes marked as full

2008-06-24 12:33:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] tapes marked as full
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "James Bowes" <james.bowes AT shaw DOT ca>, "Bacula Users" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:33:36 -0400
> Thanks for the tip. I also had h/w compression set : setdefcompression 1.
> Should I turn that off as well?

The drive should have compression on by default. Setting density codes
and block sizes can get you into trouble. I would recommend removing
these. Then rebooting making sure that the tape drive is power cycled
and finally and wiping any tapes you experimented with these settings
using:

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
mt -f /dev/nst0 weof

> Lastly, does bacula perform some sort of
> special compression on it's own?

This is what the gzip settings are in the file set. With a tape drive
you do not want to use software compression so you should not use
this.

John