Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Find size of file in Job

2008-06-23 10:37:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Find size of file in Job
From: C M Reinehr <cmr AT amsent DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:36:51 -0500
On Mon 23 June 2008 02:59, Annette Jäkel wrote:
> Am 21.06.2008 19:17 Uhr schrieb "C M Reinehr" unter <cmr AT amsent DOT com>:
> > James,
> >
> > On Fri 20 June 2008 21:49, James Austin wrote:
> >> I have been noticing that my nightly incremental backups have been quite
> >> large (>300 meg) when not much data is being changed. I am assuming that
> >> this is due to the size of the log files in /var/log.
> >>
> >> I was wondering:
> >>
> >> 1. Using bconsole, how do you get a list of files and their sizes stored
> >> in an incremental backup, I can find the list of files using the query
> >> command but I cannot find any way for displaying the size of the files.
> >>
> >> This is very important as I need to be able to see what is being backed
> >> up, and at what cost (transfer/storage).
> >
> > List Files JobID=xxxx works for me (Version: 1.38.11 (28 June 2006)).
>
> That lists the files but not the size of the single files, only the
> summary. I think James want to see the single size of a file in a job. I'm
> also interested in but have no idea how to get it from bconsole.

You're correct--my bad. I chose the catalog backup as a sample job which, as
it happens, only contains one file! After taking a quick look at the make
tables script for my version, it doesn't appear that the size of the
individual files backed up is stored in the catalog.

> >> 2. Are there any recommendations for handling the /var/log folder,
> >> something along the lines of truncating the files so that only the last
> >> 500k, or only the last 100000 lines are copied?

From my Bacula manual:

If you use the default bacula-dir.conf or some variation of it, you will note
that it logs all the Bacula output to a file. To avoid that this file grows
without limit, we recommend that you copy the file logrotate from the
scripts/logrotate to /etc/logrotate.d/bacula. This will cause the log
file to be rotated once a month and kept for a maximum of 5 months. You
may want to edit this file to change the default log rotation preferences.

> >> 3. Would any of you recommend excluding the /var/log folder?
> >>
> >> James.
> >
> > cmr
>
> I remember sometimes I was very happy to have old log files. If you have
> enough resources, I recommend backing up important log files. But I agree
> with John: You should have a good logrotate structure to generate several
> logfiles (by size or date) to have the possibility to backup incrementally.
> Annette

cmr

--
Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------