Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Find size of file in Job

2008-06-23 04:00:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Find size of file in Job
From: Annette Jäkel <jaekel AT math.TU-Berlin DOT DE>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:59:27 +0200
Am 21.06.2008 19:17 Uhr schrieb "C M Reinehr" unter <cmr AT amsent DOT com>:

> James,
>
> On Fri 20 June 2008 21:49, James Austin wrote:
>> I have been noticing that my nightly incremental backups have been quite
>> large (>300 meg) when not much data is being changed. I am assuming that
>> this is due to the size of the log files in /var/log.
>>
>> I was wondering:
>>
>> 1. Using bconsole, how do you get a list of files and their sizes stored in
>> an incremental backup, I can find the list of files using the query command
>> but I cannot find any way for displaying the size of the files.
>>
>> This is very important as I need to be able to see what is being backed up,
>> and at what cost (transfer/storage).
>
> List Files JobID=xxxx works for me (Version: 1.38.11 (28 June 2006)).

That lists the files but not the size of the single files, only the summary.
I think James want to see the single size of a file in a job. I'm also
interested in but have no idea how to get it from bconsole.

>> 2. Are there any recommendations for handling the /var/log folder,
>> something along the lines of truncating the files so that only the last
>> 500k, or only the last 100000 lines are copied?
>>
>> 3. Would any of you recommend excluding the /var/log folder?
>>
>> James.
>
> cmr

I remember sometimes I was very happy to have old log files. If you have
enough resources, I recommend backing up important log files. But I agree
with John: You should have a good logrotate structure to generate several
logfiles (by size or date) to have the possibility to backup incrementally.
Annette