Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Failed backup: Network send error to SD. Broken Pipe

2008-06-10 03:13:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Failed backup: Network send error to SD. Broken Pipe
From: Christian Nolte <ch.nolte AT noltec DOT org>
To: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:12:33 +0200

Christian Nolte schrieb:
> Christian Nolte wrote:

>>> Thanks, Josh. With your information I was able to get the storage daemon
>>> log below. What puzzles me is, that this seems not to be a network issue
>>> because the log indicates that there is an issue with writing the data
>>> the FD sent to the SD. I just have checked the partition and there are
>>> no errors in the file system. I will try another partition to store the
>>> backup.
>>> Here is the excerpt from the logfile:
>>> fc6_32_build2-sd: askdir.c:351 >dird: fc6_32_build2-sd: askdir.c:357
>>> Didn't get vol info vol=Full-Ext-Vol-0001: ERR=Network error on
>>> bnet_recv in req_vol_info.
>>> fc6_32_build2-sd: block.c:748 dir_update_volume_info terminate writing
>>> -- ERROR
>>> fc6_32_build2-sd: block.c:771 Leave terminate_writing_volume -- ERROR
>>> fc6_32_build2-sd: append.c:220 Got write_block_to_dev error on device
>>> "FileStorageExternal" (/mnt/backup-store/backups).
>>> fc6_32_build2-sd:
>>> fd_cmds.c:160 <filed:
>> I get the same error message when using an other physical device to back up:
>
>> ---
>> fc6_32_build2-sd: askdir.c:351 >dird: fc6_32_build2-sd: askdir.c:357
>> Didn't get vol info vol=Full-Vol-0005: ERR=Network error on bnet_recv in
>> req_vol_info.
>> fc6_32_build2-sd: block.c:748 dir_update_volume_info terminate writing
>> -- ERROR
>> fc6_32_build2-sd: block.c:771 Leave terminate_writing_volume -- ERROR
>> fc6_32_build2-sd: append.c:220 Got write_block_to_dev error on device
>> "FileStorage" (/mnt/backup-store2/backups).
>> ---
>
>> As mentioned: Other backups work fine on the same devices. This specific
>> backup *always* stops after 2,991,804,324 bytes have been written...
>

> If I run the full backup the SD does not write any bytes. I have tested
> a small test set (/etc/bacula, about 34MB) and this backup does work fine.
>
> Are there any things I could try to narrow this issue down?

Ok. I did try something else: I have disabled the compression for the
file set. The backup finished correctly (about 47 GB of data). I have
reason to believe that the compression is the problem here, but I do not
know what exactly goes wrong here. Other hosts however work fine with
the compression enabled.

- --
For more than 4 generations the IT Professionals were the guardians
of quality and stability in software. Before the dark times.
Before Microsoft...