Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Failed backup: Network send error to SD. Broken Pipe

2008-06-10 03:50:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Failed backup: Network send error to SD. Broken Pipe
From: Christian Nolte <ch.nolte AT noltec DOT org>
To: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:48:56 +0200

Alan Brown schrieb:

>>> Yes, but what about on their border routers?
>>>
>> I have asked them about ICMP filtering and they said that they are not
>> doing any kind of ICMP filtering. I did not, however, ask them about the
>> border routers. I will do that on monday.
>>
>> Let's say they are doing ICMP filtering. What implication would that
>> have on my bacula configuration? Would that mean that it is impossible
>> to use bacula in such a scenario?
>
> ICMP is a traffic control protocol. The problem with blanket ICMP
> filtering is that it breaks path MTU discovery algorithms and other
> control mechanisms aimed at throttling congested networks.
>
> If they are blocking all ICMP at the border router than you can solve the
> problem on Linux boxes with the following commands at BOTH ends
>
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc
>
> Note that this will mess up connections to systems which do use path MTU
> discovery, by forcing the use of lowest MTU - this generates a LOT more
> packet overhead.
>

> This is my observation on ICMP issues. Feel free to quote.
>

> ICMP filtering is often attempted by inexperienced/naive admins in an
> effort to mitigate DoS attacks. Unfotunately if done incorrectly, such
> filtering can make things significantly WORSE, as ICMP is the traffic
> control protocol for the Internet.
>
> Bear in mind that blocking inbound traffic as a DoS control measure is not
> effective - the traffic is already saturating your link. Traffic
> throttling must be performed BEFORE it arrives at your border routers.
>
> If ICMP filtering is required, then consider using the following pointers.
>
> 1: Preventing participation in "smurf" attacks:
>
>     Filter ALL traffic to BROADCAST addresses
>     Ensure all systems are configured to NOT respond to ICMP pings on
> broadcast addresses
>

> 2: Prevention of general ICMP attacks on individual machines:
>
>   Configure ICMP throttling. This will pass ICMP, but rate limit traffic
> if it exceeds preset levels. All Cisco routers (and most other brands) are
> capable of rate limiting ICMP.
>
> 3: Security concerns
>
>   If filtering attempts at network discovery, then consider only
> filtering ICMP ping - but bear in mind there are at least 40 other ways of
> mapping internal networks without using ICMP. If you really want to
> prevent discovery of internal topologies then proper firewalling
> techniques are in order - for both in and outbound traffic - AND make sure
> you are not leaking details via DNS or other means.

Thanks, Alan for this detailed information. I have tried what you've
suggested on both systems, but unfortunately it had no effect. Like I
have already posted in the other mail the compression seems to be the
problem. Could this nevertheless be related to these ICMP problems?

- --
For more than 4 generations the IT Professionals were the guardians
of quality and stability in software. Before the dark times.
Before Microsoft...