Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] timeout contacting storage daemon on system with multiple interfaces

2008-06-04 09:29:59
Subject: [Bacula-users] timeout contacting storage daemon on system with multiple interfaces
From: Ariano Bertacca <a.bertacca AT vva DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 15:29:49 +0200
Hi there!

Currently i'm running a bacula server (2.2.8 on centos5, using a mysql
db) to backup 34 servers. Everything worked nicely until Monday this
week, when i added another network interface to the server.

Setup:

Server with 2 interfaces: 10.1.2.10/24 and 10.1.3.10/24. Default route
via 10.1.2.1.
33 Clients inside the 10.1.2.0/24 network, one client in the
10.1.3.0/24 network.

The server runs fd, sd and dir. The 33 backups from the 10.1.2.0/24
network all work great.

I can ping, telnet, ssh to the one system in the 10.1.3.0/24 network.
I can also reach the server on any given port/protocol from the
10.1.3.0/24 network.
When i use bconsole/est, i get the estimate for the job i'm asking
for, just as i expected.

Now when it comes to backups, the client tries to reach the sd using
the ip 10.1.2.10, which results in a timeout.
As i understand it, there's no way to tell the client where to look
for the sd. It seems that the ip for the sd will be given from the
director whenever needed, but the director doesn't seem to care from
which network the client connects.

Once it has come this far, i can see (using netstat) that the client
tries to connect to the "wrong" ip and the situation always ends in a
failed job, due to the connection timeout.

I already tried adding the servers names to the local /etc/hosts file,
but since the servers dns names and all reverse lookups resolve
correct, this had no effect, as i expected.

Any advice how to solve this?

Kind regards

Ariano Bertacca
Systemmanagement

fon +49 211 7357-834 | fax +49 211 7357-859

--
Vereinigte Verlagsanstalten GmbH
Höherweg 278 | 40231 Düsseldorf

HR Düsseldorf HRB 658