Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Question about Linux and over 2TB disk

2008-06-03 02:50:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Question about Linux and over 2TB disk
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik AT iki DOT fi>
To: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 09:49:18 +0300
On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 05:32:37PM -0700, Hemant Shah wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I know this is not a Linux forum, but I guess that bacula users probably use
> Linux with large disk space.
> I was rebuilding my backup server because I added extra 1TB of disk space and
> my total RAID size increased
> to 2.5TB. Linux had problem problem booting from volume > 2TB.
>
> I have 3ware RAID adapter and have 7 500GB drives in RAID 6 config. I created
> a boot volume of 100GB and
> gave rest to bacula.
>
> I am not able to install Fedora 8 or 9 on it. After selecting the software to
> install, the process stop with
> error that is cannot find repository. I downloaded fedora 9 DVD but it
> failed. Then I tried Fedora 8 from
> the DVD that I had previously used to install Linux on the same bacula
> server, but that fails too.
>
> Anyone know what could be wrong?

Always have a small disk for the operating system (that is less than 2 TB),
and have separate data disk..

Normal partition tables can't support disks bigger than 2 TB, so you need to
have a GPT partition table on your data disk.

Or then you can use LVM for the data disk.. no partition tables at all.

So reconfigure your volumes on 3ware.. If you can't install with the >2TB
volume in place, first install the OS, and then create the data volume.

Hopefully that helps.

btw you could also try using CentOS 5.1 (or 5.2 soon).

-- Pasi