Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] storage's maximum concurrent jobs

2008-04-27 17:16:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] storage's maximum concurrent jobs
From: Marc Schiffbauer <marc AT schiffbauer DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:16:04 +0200
* John Drescher schrieb am 27.04.08 um 18:18 Uhr:

> >  I guess either this is a bug in bacula or its documentation or the
> >  concurrent jobs feature is not about eally running jobs in parallel
> >  and bacula does not support this feature at all (yet).
> >

> Like Arno this is not what I see. I have had times where 4 to 6 jobs
> were spooling to the same tape drive. Have you configured concurrency
> in all the required places. Depending on what type of concurrency you
> are trying to achieve you may need to set it (maximum concurrent jobs)
> in 5 or more places. Also the pool may be a factor. A single device
> can not mount to pools at the same time.

In this special case I think concurrency must only be set in the
director.

                              +-------+
Client1(Job1@Scheduling1) --> |       | --> Storage1(tape)
                              | Dir1  |
Client2(Job2@Scheduling2) --> |       | --> Storage2(disk)
                              +-------+

(Scheduling1 and Scheduling2 start at the same time)

I have to admit that in this setup it is not always a problem. I have
to look into this a bit deeper. What I know is that I had the case
sometimes where the tapedrive was waiting for a new tape while Job1
was running and Job2 was just sitting there and did not start
writing to disk until Storage1 had its new tape to finish Job1.

OTOH looking into the job table I see that Job2 finished before Job1
on the last full backup and they must have run in parallel.

-Marc