Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula on ESX 3.5 (somewhat OT)

2008-04-16 01:46:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula on ESX 3.5 (somewhat OT)
From: Steven Jones <thing AT thing.dyndns DOT org>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:45:46 +1200
Hi,

Before you install bacula (or anything else) on an ESX server itself
consider that you will probably find that you will no longer have
technical support from VMware. This is what I was informed of by a
Vmware engineer when I mentioned I wanted to install munin-node to
monitor ESX...ie any 3rd party software will void support. So you may
find you have to remove any tools etc beofre they take an interest,
especially if this effects or upgrades Perl.

Esx is itself quite simple and does not really need backing up
IMHO....so keep 2 cds handy, one iso for ESX 3.x and maybe a cd-rw of
the latest patchset, currently March 2008.

While ESX 3.0.2 uses RH ES3 (I think 3.5 does as well, I need to check,
3i does not). This is a management station that runs on top of the
Vmware kernel, my understanding is the RH ES3 instance boots then swaps
in the VMware kernel/system to run on.

As for Vmware's consolidated backup, yet another person thinks it
sucks....seems to be most people.

"If you back up the virtual disk files without
using consolidated backup or vmkfstools you may run into trouble."

Definately, stick to Vmware's tools, When I first started with ESX I
tried tar'ing up and also cp'ing complete (turned off machines) to
alterative partitons/clusters, the result was un-bootable!

I think the biggest thing to watch on ESX is it is in fact not "really"
Linux, ie all you know about Linux can get you in deep doo doo if you
ssh in and start running "normal" Linux commands, been there done
that.....you have to find and use Vmware's equiv.

regards

Steven

8><---