Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula on ESX 3.5

2008-04-15 10:36:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula on ESX 3.5
From: Robert LeBlanc <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
To: 'bacula-users' <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:36:56 -0600

On 4/15/08 1:01 AM, "Arno Lehmann" <al AT its-lehmann DOT de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 15.04.2008 01:11, Robert LeBlanc wrote:
>>   Ok,
>>   We¹ve messed with Consolidate Back-up for ESX and I don¹t like it, I
>> tried to NFS mount our VMFS volumes on the Bacula SD to back them up and
>> it seems as ESX can not export VMFS, so I¹m back to where I started many
>> months ago and getting Bacula working on ESX.
>
> Great. I don't know VMWare ESX that well :-)
>
>> I am not a Red Hat person
>> by any means, we use Debain for everything. So I have a few questions.
>> First, I think that ESX 3.5 is using Red Hat Enterprise 3.x, would that
>> seems feasible?
>
> I don't know. But if it does, there are rpms for RHEL3 available which
> are used by at least one of my customers. Just point your browser to
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=50727&package_id=76408
> and you'll find a bacula-client-2.2.8-1.el3.i386.rpm file, which would
> be worth a try.

I feel like such an idiot, I made sure to check before putting noise on the
list. The package installed without a hitch. The last time, there were a few
libraries out of date.

>> It looks like it was originally released in 2003.
>> Second, what CentOS (I know that CentOS is a ?free¹ version of Red Hat
>> Enterprise) version would I use?
>
> None, as long as you can use the more specific rpms.
>
>> Third, are RPMs built for that version
>> of CentOS? I only seem to find RPMs for Fedora Core and SUSE. Fourthly,
>> if there is no pre-built RPMs, I see that there is general building
>> instructions in the Documentation, but is there a good (i.e. Easy)
>> resource for building RPM packages for Bacula?
>
> Yes, just download and install the source rpm and run rpmbuild with
> the appropriate command line switches. You'll need a full development
> environment, though, which might not be on the VMWare server.

I would try to avoid building on the ESX host at all possible, hence the
build on CentOS and then copy the RPM to the ESX host. I guess I will need
to learn how to package Bacula in any case seeing how binaries won't be
released for the next version.

Thanks,
Robert

http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaon>>