BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Consequence of "always incremental" after first full backup

2017-06-04 17:33:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Consequence of "always incremental" after first full backup
From: Bob Katz <bobkatz AT digido DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 17:32:53 -0400

Fabulous, Michael. Thanks for that assurance,

Bob

On 6/4/17 12:51 AM, Michael Huntley wrote:

Hi Bob -

I regularly backup older multi-gigabyte PST files.  I use a 7 day Fill schedule.  BackupPC doesn't actually backup the file if it is unchanged, but it will appear in the backup # of the Filled backup.  I've messed with full backups and filled schedules.   It's all a wash - any pre-existing unchanged file isn't backed up - it simply appears in the backup #.

Craig stated the fulls and filled backups are de-coupled and it appears to be so.

$Conf{FullPeriod}     --- which we want large enough to ensure we NEVER do another full backup

Why?

As you pointed out, it's not an issue, thanks to de-duplication. I just got the impression from the documentation that the user could/should choose never doing another full backup. The documentation discusses the option of setting a very long Full period.

$Conf{FillCycle}    --- if we set this >0 would it slow down the day-to-day backup operation?

With these very large files is there any issue with setting$Conf{FullKeepCnt}  >1   ?

Full keep count *seems* to correspond to the number of Filled backups kept around...

I'm not seeing any negative results with keeping FullPeriod at 6.97 and FillCycle at 7.

Excellent. I'll just leave these defaults.

BK

--

If you want good sound on your album, come to
Bob Katz 407-831-0233 DIGITAL DOMAIN MASTERING STUDIO
Author: Mastering Audio
Digital Domain Website

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number
of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.