BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Consequence of "always incremental" after first full backup

2017-06-03 01:25:41
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Consequence of "always incremental" after first full backup
From: Bob Katz <bobkatz AT digido DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 01:24:45 -0400
One of the hosts being backed up is a photographer's computer with a huge 7 TB store of photos. Many of the photos are multi-layer photoshop files some larger than a GB each. The vast majority of this storage is archival. Only a small percentage of photos are changing or being added to at any moment in time.

What would be the consequences of setting the backuppc parameters so this host never gets another full backup? The documentation speaks of an ever-increasing number of deltas and a tradeoff in speed.

For such a host with many very large files and a very large file storage, what would be the optimum suggested settings for:

$Conf{FullPeriod}     --- which we want large enough to ensure we NEVER do another full backup
$Conf{FillCycle}    --- if we set this >0 would it slow down the day-to-day backup operation?

With these very large files is there any issue with setting
$Conf{FullKeepCnt}  >1   ?

I must admit I'm confused by the documentation for $Conf{FullKeepCnt}:

"In the steady state, each time a full backup completes successfully the oldest one is removed. If this number is decreased, the extra old backups will be removed."

Does this still apply since "fullkeepcnt" in v4+ means "filledkeepcount"?

Thanks for any advice,

Bob Katz

--

If you want good sound on your album, come to
Bob Katz 407-831-0233 DIGITAL DOMAIN MASTERING STUDIO
Author: Mastering Audio
Digital Domain Website

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number
of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.