BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Web access restrictions and IPv6

2017-05-25 20:46:54
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Web access restrictions and IPv6
From: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 17:45:24 -0700
In case anyone else has this problem....

I suspect a Win10 update changed the way my web client (Chrome) accesses my Linux Apache server, favoring IPv6 over IPv4. I'd originally configured it to allow connections from my LAN's IPv4 prefix and all worked fine. This week (after a couple weeks of not checking) I found I couldn't connect. I traced it down to the connection coming from my link local IPv6 address. So I needed to add an extra Require stanza to my Apache config. If your error_log shows connections refused from addresses starting with fe80, you've run into this issue.

From /etc/httpd/conf.d/BackupPC.conf:

AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /etc/BackupPC/apache.users
AuthName "BackupPC"

<IfModule mod_authz_core.c>
 # Apache 2.4
 <RequireAll>
   Require valid-user
   <RequireAny>
     Require local
        # allow from my LAN IPv4 block
     Require ip 10.0.0.0/8
        # ADD THIS for IPv6 link local connections!
     Require ip fe80::/16
   </RequireAny>
 </RequireAll>
</IfModule>