BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: After migration to V4, rsync backups not working

2017-03-16 15:37:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: After migration to V4, rsync backups not working
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 20:36:43 +0100
Hi,

after downloading 4.0.0 from sourceforge (which has apparently been hacked
and/or turned to the dark side), I need to correct myself:

Holger Parplies wrote on 2017-03-16 17:09:53 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd:
After migration to V4, rsync backups not working]:
> [...]
> If I read Craig's answer correctly, a typical setting would be
>
>       $Conf {RsyncSshArgs} = '-l root';

actually, the default setting from config.pl is:

        $Conf{RsyncSshArgs} = [
                '-e', '$sshPath -l root',
        ];

which you'd use if you *used to* have

        $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '$sshPath -l root $host $rsyncPath $argList+'

whereas something like the more complex

        $Conf {RsyncClientCmd} = '$sshPath -l backupuser -i
/var/lib/backuppc/.ssh/id_backuppc_rsa -q -x $host /usr/bin/sudo $rsyncPath
$argList+';

would translate to

        $Conf{RsyncSshArgs} = [
                '-e', '$sshPath -l backupuser -i
/var/lib/backuppc/.ssh/id_backuppc_rsa -q -x',
        ];
        $Conf{RsyncClientPath} = '/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/rsync';

This translation is fairly easy for a human, but coding it for a computer
is dreadful (and it gets worse if I find creative names for my ssh identities
like /.../id/usr/bin/rsync or something ;-).

[OT]
Speaking of "getting worse" - is it normal that the sourceforge web page is
completely littered with ads and forces you with a popup to accept cookie
settings which it takes "several minutes" to save? They don't seem to have
any visible effect, and keeping my browser busy without plausible reason is
fishy in any case. So, I guess that's "bye sourceforge" ...
[/OT]

Regards,
Holger

---