BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] After migration to V4, rsync backups not working

2017-03-15 17:18:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] After migration to V4, rsync backups not working
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 14:16:38 -0700
Holger asked the right questions.  Yes, it's an ssh problem, as you note.  You've come across what is one of the more likely upgrade issues.

In looking at your rsync_bpc command, it doesn't look like $Conf{RsyncArgs} was updated when you installed 4.0, or you have a per-host override.

Here's what a typical rsync_bpc command should look like:

/usr/local/bin/rsync_bpc --bpc-top-dir /data/BackupPC4 --bpc-host-name HOSTNAME --bpc-share-name /LOCALPATH --bpc-bkup-num 0 --bpc-bkup-comp 3 --bpc-bkup-prevnum -1 --bpc-bkup-prevcomp -1 --bpc-bkup-inode0 1 --bpc-attrib-new --bpc-log-level 1 -e /usr/bin/ssh -l root --rsync-path=/usr/local/bin/rsync --super --recursive --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --times --links --hard-links --delete --partial --log-format=log: %o %i %B %8U,%8G %9l %f%L --stats --checksum HOSTNAME:/LOCALPATH/ /

The "-e" option is built from $Conf{SshPath} and $Conf{RsyncSshArgs}.  The rest of the configurable arguments (after -e) come from $Conf{RsyncArgs}.  As Holger mentions, either the main config.pl didn't get updated for some reason (did you install by running configure.pl?) or you have per-client overrides that the upgrade doesn't automatically update for you.

The default settings in 4.0 for these config variables are:

$Conf{RsyncArgs} = [
            '--super',
            '--recursive',
            '--protect-args',
            '--numeric-ids',
            '--perms',
            '--owner',
            '--group',
            '-D',
            '--times',
            '--links',
            '--hard-links',
            '--delete',
            '--partial',
            '--log-format=log: %o %i %B %8U,%8G %9l %f%L',
            '--stats',

$Conf{RsyncSshArgs} = [
        '-e', '$sshPath -l root',
];

Craig

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 8:46 AM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote:
Hi,

ads wrote on 2017-03-15 11:46:39 +0000 [[BackupPC-users] After migration to V4, rsync backups not working]:
> I have migrated from V3 to V4,

how did you do that? By running configure.pl?

> and now my rsync backups are not working. [...] The 3 'Permission denied'
> lines look as if they might be ssh permission problems.

I agree with that conclusion.

Craig recently wrote on [backuppc-devel]:
> The configure.pl script updates the relevant rsync settings in the main
> config.pl file.  In particular, it updates $Conf{RsyncArgs}
> and $Conf{RsyncRestoreArgs} with the 4.0 settings.
>
> $Conf{RsyncSshArgs} is a new 4.0 setting, and $Conf{RsyncClientCmd}
> and $Conf{RsyncClientRestoreCmd} are no longer used.  configure.pl tries to
> extract a sensible default setting for $Conf{RsyncSshArgs} from
> $Conf{RsyncClientCmd}.
>
> The potential problems are that there are per-client overrides for these
> settings (which is not checked by configure.pl), and the computed value for
> $Conf{RsyncSshArgs} isn't correct.

I'm guessing something went wrong. Either you have per-client overrides or
the value of RsyncSshArgs is computed incorrectly. What was your (V3)
RsyncClientCmd, what is your (V4) RsyncSshArgs?

Regards,
Holger