BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: After migration to V4, rsync backups not working

2017-03-16 12:23:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: After migration to V4, rsync backups not working
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: ads <ads AT whatho DOT net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 17:09:53 +0100
Hi,

ads wrote on 2017-03-16 08:58:20 +0000 [[BackupPC-users] Fwd:  After migration
to V4, rsync backups not working]:
> [...]
> I use Arch Linux, and installed (upgraded) backuppc using the provided
> package in pacman format. I already suspected configure.pl hadn't been run,
> because I had to manually adjust RsyncBackupPCPath (it was empty)
> and PoolV3Enabled (it was off).
>
> I couldn't find a copy of configure.pl on my system. I guess the package
> gets expanded in some temporary location which is cleaned after install. I
> will have a more thorough search.

this is a misunderstanding. When installing the *upstream* package, you run
configure.pl. For a packaged version as you are using, the package's pre-/
postinstall/configure/whatever_may_apply scripts are responsible for doing
whatever needs to be done for an upgrade. The package maintainer may or may
not have used parts of (or ideas from) the upstream configure.pl for
implementing that.

The correct thing to do is:

> I think my choices now are:
>
> 1) [...] I would also report the issue to the package maintainer.

and update the setting(s) yourself. (*)

Updating user configuration as in this specific case is in itself a problem.
BackupPC V3 gave you the flexibility to specify an arbitrary command which
ends up with a connection to a remote piece of software that speaks the
rsync protocol - however the individual BackupPC user might choose to
implement that. For V4, the mechanism is slightly different, as the command
is ultimately called by rsync (rsync_bpc, specifically), which, I believe,
makes different assumptions than BackupPC used to. So, it might not always
be possible to convert one form to the other without further manual steps.
For many common cases, it *is* possible, and I assume that is what
configure.pl attempts to do as a convenience (I haven't looked at the code).
Your package maintainer may have chosen not to attempt that, and he may have
valid reasons. Ultimately, you always have to check the results of the
conversion anyway and possibly correct them. Remember, this is one of the
settings where there is, upon *initial* installation of BackupPC, no generic
works-automatically-for-everyone default value. Even for the very common
case "rsync over ssh as root" you always need to set up passwordless ssh
access.

If I read Craig's answer correctly, a typical setting would be

        $Conf {RsyncSshArgs} = '-l root';

but if you could quote the setting from your V3 configuration for
$Conf{RsyncClientCmd}, I'm sure we'll be able to figure out what you need
to set and whether you might need to change anything else. Hint: if you
can't find the configuration value, an appropriate extract from a V3 log
file would help, but my guess is that if it wasn't converted, it's still
in config.pl or the respective host.pl file.

Regards,
Holger

(*) Note: even if the maintainer decides to "fix" this issue, conversion
    might only happen when upgrading from a 3.x version to the new package,
    not from one 4.x version to the next.