BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Converting whole v3 repository to v4?

2017-03-13 01:23:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Converting whole v3 repository to v4?
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 22:21:34 -0700
I pushed bin/BackupPC_migrateV3toV4 to git.  It uses the hybrid approach I mentioned - V3 backups still use the same forward deltas; this script only replaces the hardlinked backups in each directory with V4 attrib files (and MD5 digests).

Usage:

BackupPC_migrateV3toV4 [-p] [-v] [-h host [-n V3backupNum]]

So to convert a specific backup and host, use both -h ClientName and -n BkupNum.  If you don't specify -n, then all that host's V3 backups will be converted.

Warning: with no arguments, it will try to convert every v3 backup (maybe I should change that).

There are some related changes in several other places, including lib/BackupPC/View.pm, that make the V3 hybrid storage work correctly with the rest of BackupPC.  So you'll need to pull all the new code from git to test.

If you want to test this, I'd recommend testing it on a single or series of V3 backups.  You can safely copy the backup trees using cp -prl (which maintains the hardlinks), eg:

cd /data/BackupPC/pc/exampleHost
mv 5 5.orig ; cp -prl 5.orig 5
mv 6 6.orig ; cp -prl 6.orig 6
mv 7 7.orig ; cp -prl 7.orig 7
cp backups backups.save

If you want to put things back the way they were:

rm -rf 5 ; mv 5.orig 5
rm -rf 6 ; mv 5.orig 6
rm -rf 7 ; mv 5.orig 7
# copy the [567] lines from backups.save into backups;
# only do "mv backups.save backups" if you are sure no
# new backups have been done

Craig

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 7:49 AM, Michael Huntley <michael AT huntley DOT net> wrote:

On March 9, 2017 11:47:09 PM Pavel Hofman <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com> wrote:

> mph,
>
> Actually we are based on drives only. I could make a huge 10TB tar and
> put it somewhere but the idea of conversion and having all the backupcs
> together...

Agreed!  A 10TB tar file on spinning media not practical. You already have
that....

> Anyway, thanks a lot for your suggestion, should the hybrid storage not

I'll be testing along with you.  I've got tons of data to work with here....

Cheers!

mph