BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] question about backuppc topdir

2016-09-14 09:36:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] question about backuppc topdir
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 09:34:57 -0400
On 9/14/2016 6:39 AM, Juan Manuel wrote:
> Hello Stefan Peter/Adam before of all regards for you reply.
>
> My problem is that I have 3 disk of 1 TB each, 2 disk are in RAID 1 (mirror
> with mdadm) and is near to full, the TopDir is mounting on this RAID via LVM
> (PV and LV).
> The server is an ordinary PC desktop, so can't put much more disk.
>
>   From the first disk only I use a litle partition (LV) to operating system
> and backuppc binaries, the rest of the disk (1 TB) in not used.
>

> My question is: it is posible to mount another space to do backups (like
> another TopDir on backuppc) using the rest available of the first disk,
> butindependent of the RAID 1 that I have ? because this disk are not in
> RAID 1 mirrored, so can I put not critical backups there. Regards. Juan
> Manuel.
>
> PD: the other way is to drop all an make a RAID 5 with the 3 disk (1 TB)
> and redo all installations.

What I would do (and have done in a similar situation), is to replace
the raid drives with larger drives.  This can be done with only as much
downtime as is needed to swap the drives.

1) Pull disk 1 from the raid and replace with a 2TB or larger drive
2) Rebuild the raid
3) Pull disk 2 from the raid and replace with a larger drive
4) Rebuild the raid
5) Expand the logical volume and filesystem to use the extra space

Since the raid can rebuild while online, the only downtime would be for
the two swaps (if you don't have hotswap capability), and for expanding
the filesystem (if it doesn't allow for online resizing).

--
Bowie