BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] question about backuppc topdir

2016-09-14 08:21:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] question about backuppc topdir
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 22:21:01 +1000

On 14/09/2016 20:39, Juan Manuel wrote:
> Hello Stefan Peter/Adam before of all regards for you reply.
>
> My problem is that I have 3 disk of 1 TB each, 2 disk are in RAID 1 (mirror
> with mdadm) and is near to full, the TopDir is mounting on this RAID via LVM
> (PV and LV).
> The server is an ordinary PC desktop, so can't put much more disk.
>
>   From the first disk only I use a litle partition (LV) to operating system
> and backuppc binaries, the rest of the disk (1 TB) in not used.
>

> My question is: it is posible to mount another space to do backups (like
> another TopDir on backuppc) using the rest available of the first disk,
> butindependent of the RAID 1 that I have ? because this disk are not in
> RAID 1 mirrored, so can I put not critical backups there. Regards. Juan
> Manuel.
>
> PD: the other way is to drop all an make a RAID 5 with the 3 disk (1 TB)
> and redo all installations.

Personally, this whole setup is a bad idea..... You are wasting space
(1TB) for a "small" OS drive (probably 50GB is more than ample, I
commonly use 20 or 30GB), and on top of that you are limiting the space
for backups to just 1TB.

I always do a three mirror RAID1 for the OS drive (sdx1), then a small
chunk from each drive (sdx2) for 3 swap drives (maybe 2GB each) and then
use the rest of each drive (sdx3) to build a RAID5.

In your case, I would probably try to reduce the space used on the third
drive to the minimum possible (allow some spare space for OS growth/etc).
Then, reduce the amount of space consumed on the RAID1 mirror (maybe
delete the oldest backup if necessary). Then reduce the FS (assuming
your FS supports reduction) and then reduce the RAID array size so it
matches the spare space on the third drive.
Finally, grow your RAID1 array into a RAID5 array.
mdadm does support RAID1 to grow to a RAID5....

Regards,
Adam