BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Still unable to "resume" a partial backup

2016-08-04 09:47:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Still unable to "resume" a partial backup
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 23:47:12 +1000

On 4/08/2016 23:43, martin f krafft wrote:
> 3) Ensure that you can backup any file within the ClientTimeout,
> Is this necessary? Isn't ClientTimeout about killing the connection
> after a period of time without any traffic?
Almost, but the timer is only updated after each file has been
transferred, not after each chunk/byte of a file.
>> The problem is backuppc will not accept a partial file, either the
>> full file is received/saved in the partial backup, or none of the
>> file is saved. I don't expect this will change.
> I don't think it can change. But if I have three huge files, and the
> backup always dies half way through the second, then I would hope
> that BackupPC learnt to reuse the first, already transferred file
> instead of repeating the same thing as the day before and failing
> half way through the second file again… I think this is the core of
> the problem, somehow… it does not seem like partial backups get
> updated on resume…

It should work as you said, but if you never have enough time to
transfer the second file, then you won't actually proceed. BackupPC will
still check every file "before" the second file in case there have been
changes there, but ultimately, if the second file is too big to transfer
within the allotted time, then it can't succeed.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Adam