BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc keeps hanging on restore

2016-07-21 11:10:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc keeps hanging on restore
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:09:15 -0400
On 07/21 02:41 , Pelletier, Robert wrote:
> This seems to be working nicely, although not at all ideal. May I ask how
> this will help me troubleshoot my issue? Given how well this method is
> performing, It does seem like it is an rsync issue, but I have tried a few
> versions of rsync and all are giving me the issue. Argh.

Since I always just stop at doing backups this way (I don't trust giving the
backup server write permissions to the client), all I can say is that at
least we've narrowed your problem down to something in the rsync
implementation.

I have seen rsync hang occasionally when backing up a client, so seeing it
hang when restoring to a client doesn't surprise me.

> This method is working great to restore my backup, so thank you very much, it
> is greatly appreciated.
>
> I did have to change a couple of commands to make this work, for those folks
> whom stumble upon this.
>
> First of all, I had to install netcat
> Yum install nc
>
> Then on the target box (notice I removed the -p, which was not necessary, I
> am guessing this is dependent on your distro and/or netcat version):
>  nc -p 8888|tar xzvp -C /path/to/target/dir
>
> Lastly on the backuppc box:
> su backuppc        (in case you forget this must be run as the backuppc user)
> /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h <hostname> -n -1 -s / /|gzip|
> nc <ip/hostname of target box> 8888
> I highly recommend reading the help file, although brief, should be enough to
> assist with the format of the above command.

Yeah, I wrote those instructions quite a few years ago and filed them away
in a document, and haven't updated them since. The netcat options changed
slightly since then.

> Thanks Carl!

You're welcome.

--