BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc keeps hanging on restore

2016-07-21 10:42:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc keeps hanging on restore
From: "Pelletier, Robert" <rpelletier AT emcc DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 14:41:26 +0000
This seems to be working nicely, although not at all ideal. May I ask how this
will help me troubleshoot my issue? Given how well this method is performing,
It does seem like it is an rsync issue, but I have tried a few versions of
rsync and all are giving me the issue. Argh.

This method is working great to restore my backup, so thank you very much, it
is greatly appreciated.

I did have to change a couple of commands to make this work, for those folks
whom stumble upon this.

First of all, I had to install netcat
Yum install nc

Then on the target box (notice I removed the -p, which was not necessary, I am
guessing this is dependent on your distro and/or netcat version):
 nc -p 8888|tar xzvp -C /path/to/target/dir

Lastly on the backuppc box:
su backuppc        (in case you forget this must be run as the backuppc user)
/usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h <hostname> -n -1 -s / /|gzip| nc
<ip/hostname of target box> 8888
I highly recommend reading the help file, although brief, should be enough to
assist with the format of the above command.

Thanks Carl!