BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Win 10 issue with NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

2016-05-31 19:29:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Win 10 issue with NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Jeff Boyce <jboyce AT meridianenv DOT com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 01:28:45 +0200
Hi,

Jeff Boyce wrote on 2016-05-31 13:40:20 -0700 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Win 10
issue with NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME]:
> On 5/26/2016 1:51 PM, Jeff Boyce wrote:
> [......]
> Ok I solved all my backup issues, so this post will give a summary of
> what worked for me and hopefully help others.
> [...]
> I was unable to connect to the default C$ share for conducting the
> backup.  [...]
>
> So in *almost* all of my desktop boxes that are backing up to BackupPC
> they are using these same settings and the Users share.  I am not sure
> what is going on internally in the Windows networking that doesn't allow
> smbclient to connect to the default C$ share, but I am sure that
> something within Windows is stopping it.

stupid question: is it possible to connect to an administrative share with
user (i.e. non-admin) credentials?

> [...] The exception is my own desktop system; BackupPC is using the
> default C$ share without any problem.

Which user are you using to connect in this case? Is that user a member of
a privileged group?

> [...] If anyone has an idea, please enlighten me.

I can't enlighten you, because I don't know the answer. I just have an idea
which question might help :). Hope it does.

Regards,
Holger