BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] error crontab

2016-05-31 19:11:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] error crontab
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 00:39:40 +0200
Hi,

Bowie Bailey wrote on 2016-05-31 11:34:43 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] error
crontab]:
> On 5/31/2016 9:53 AM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> > Put your entries in /etc/crontab. They will be easier to find there.
> >
> > [...]
>
> Alternately, you can use the per-user crontab correctly.  Use 'crontab
> -e backuppc' to create/edit the crontab for backuppc and then enter in
> your command without the username.
>
> 20 20 * * * /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_serverMesg backup
> example-2.example.com example-2.example.com backuppc 1

all of that said, you need to get the BackupPC_serverMesg command right, as
indicated here, which you did not in your original post. The syntax for
requesting a backup is

        BackupPC_serverMesg backup <hostIP> <host> <user> <backupType>

where <host> *needs to* match a host you defined in BackupPC (i.e. if you
named your host "foo", you can't use "foo.domain.com", "cname-for-foo", or
"1.2.3.4" here) and <hostIP> should probably be identical to <host> unless
you know what you are doing (hint: you don't; using an IP or something else
that resolves to the same IP might occasionally work, but a quick glance at
the code suggests that this may break BackupPC internal synchronisation).
<user> is informational only, if I remember correctly, and backupType is one
of "auto", -1, "doIncr", 0, "doFull", 1 with the text corresponding to the
following number.

If you want to request three backups, then that's three individual
BackupPC_serverMesg commands.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger