BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Win 10 issue with NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

2016-05-26 07:58:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Win 10 issue with NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 06:57:34 -0500
On 2016-05-25 17:14, Jeff Boyce wrote:
> Greetings -
>
>      I recently converted a Win7 box to a Win10 box.  Ever since this
> change the Win10 box has failed to backup.  I have another Win7 box
> with
> the same configuration for BackupPC as the Win10 box, except a
> different
> user and password, and this Win7 box is still working. This indicates
> me that there was some change in the networking stuff of Win10 that has
> caused my problem, but I don't have a clue to what it might be.  I am
> running BackupPC 3.3.1 on a CentOS 6 box, using SMB as the transfer
> method.
>
> The config and error log for the broken Win10 box:
> /etc/BackupPC/pc/rdr-lat6540.pl
> $Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = {
>    'C' => [
>      '\\users\\robynr\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\Windows Live Mail'
>    ]
> };
> $Conf{SmbSharePasswd} = 'xxxxxxxx';
> $Conf{SmbShareUserName} = 'robynr';
> $Conf{SmbShareName} = [
>    'C'
> ];
>
> Host name resolution works.  Bacteria is the BackupPC box.
> [root@bacteria ~]# perl -e 'print(gethostbyname("rdr-lat6540") ? "ok/n"
> : "not found/n");'
> ok/n
>
> Abbreviated Error Log
> 2016-05-25 14:12:36 full backup started for share C
> 2016-05-25 14:12:38 Got fatal error during xfer (tree connect failed:
> NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
> 2016-05-25 14:12:43 Backup aborted (tree connect failed:
> NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
>
> Detailed Error Log
> Running: /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\rdr-lat6540\\C -U robynr -E -d 1 -c
> tarmode\ full -Tc -
> \\users\\robynr\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\Windows\
> Live\ Mail
> full backup started for share C
> Xfer PIDs are now 19313,19312
> Domain=[RDR-LAT6540] OS=[Windows 10 Pro 10586] Server=[Windows 10 Pro
> 6.3]
> This backup will fail because: tree connect failed:
> NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
> Domain=[RDR-LAT6540] OS=[Windows 10 Pro 10586] Server=[Windows 10 Pro
> 6.3]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
> tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0 sizeExistComp,
> 0 filesTotal, 0 sizeTotal
> Got fatal error during xfer (tree connect failed:
> NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
> Backup aborted (tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
> Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the
> prior one (got 0 and 0 files versus 0)
>
> I have been searching the mailing list archives and other sources
> online
> for 2 days to try and diagnose this.  The error messages don't seem
> clear enough to me.  I have the exact same configuration on a Win7 box
> [...]

It must be said:  there are a lot of potential causes for
NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME, so what solves one issue may not solve
another.  However, I do recommend you start with the obvious thing that
the error message is telling you, mainly that W10 does not have a share
named C.

Perhaps simple sharing is turned on, perhaps the share name has been
transliterated to something else.  You might want to try the
troubleshooting step of listing the actual share names:

/usr/bin/smbclient -L //rdr-lat6540