BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Win 10 issue with NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

2016-05-31 16:40:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Win 10 issue with NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
From: Jeff Boyce <jboyce AT meridianenv DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 13:40:20 -0700

On 5/26/2016 1:51 PM, Jeff Boyce wrote:

> [...]
>> the incorrect password, to an older version of smbclient which is
>> fine with supplying the share list but refuses to negotiate SMB with
>> W10, which requires stronger hashes.
>>
>> smbclient has changed its options and syntax a few times over time; I
>> note that the -N switch does not appear in your backuppc command
>> line, which is probably correct, since in more recent versions of
>> smbclient, this apparently causes it to stop sending the password...
>> But I also do not see a password on that command line.  If you didn't
>> cleanse it when you posted (which wouldn't be a terrible idea,
>> obviously) then I'd look there first, because that may mean it's not
>> being sent, which would explain that error.
>>

> I am now doing an assessment of all the clients setup in backuppc and
> seeing some minor variations between clients, and what is working and
> what isn't.  I am now noticing that I have another Win7 box that is
> giving the same NT_ STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED error as the Win10 box.  A
> quick look at the backuppc configuration between the bad Win7 box and
> my own working Win7 box shows no difference other than the include
> directory.  So I am going to have to do a more detailed look at this
> other Win7 box that is bad.  All other Win7 boxes are working fine.  I
> may setup a new Win10 box so I have another point of comparison.
>
> I notice that all of my working Win7 boxes do not declare a workgroup
> in the config.  I used that command because that is what I found in my
> old setup notes.  I may have to try to list the shares without the -W
> option and see what happens, and likewise take your suggestion and add
> it to the config and see what the results are.
>
> From my research I figured the NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED error could
> come from several different issues.  That is why I was having a hard
> time sorting this out.  I also noticed the failure to connect to the
> tree statement and suspected it might be permissions issue, but I am
> certain of the passwords.  My ideal hope was that someone here was
> going to tell me... oh yea, Win10 introduced X?X, so you just have to
> make this little change here and every thing will work again.
>
> I had the -N switch problem on my initial setup, and was able to fix
> that after a bit of research, so I know not to include it.  I did not
> cleanse the password from the command line displayed in the error.  It
> is not included in my configuration.  I can try that test also, but it
> makes me wonder why all my other Win7 boxes (except the one) works
> without providing a password argument in the command line statement.
>
> I am going to have to do a better comparison between all the working
> and non-working clients to isolate what might be different on the
> non-working boxes.  It still may be a backuppc configuration problem
> on my part, but I am not ruling out that it is an issue on the Windows
> side of things.  Need more data.  More suggestions are welcome also.

Ok I solved all my backup issues, so this post will give a summary of
what worked for me and hopefully help others.

My issue appeared to be a combination of Windows networking
configuration settings and the BackupPC config settings.  Using the
example of the bad Win10 box discussed previously with the share listing
shown below.

bash-4.1$ smbclient -L rdr-lat6540 -U robynr
Enter robynr's password:
Domain=[RDR-LAT6540] OS=[Windows 10 Pro 10586] Server=[Windows 10 Pro 6.3]

          Sharename       Type      Comment
          ---------       ----      -------
          ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
          C$              Disk      Default share
          IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
          print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
          Users           Disk
Domain=[RDR-LAT6540] OS=[Windows 10 Pro 10586] Server=[Windows 10 Pro 6.3]

I was unable to connect to the default C$ share for conducting the
backup.  Trying to connect to the C$ share directory through smbclient
with a debug level setting of 5 gave me no additional clues.  So I was
down to doing some intuitive trial and error.  I switched BackupPC to
using the Users sharename that was listed and everything worked properly.

So then I turned my attention to the bad Win7 box that I had and started
making some comparisons to other boxes.  Using smbclient to list the
shares on the bad Win7 box showed that there was a C$ share listed, but
not a Users share listed.  Network discovery, and file and printer
sharing were turned on.  In the Advanced Sharing Settings, once I turned
on Public Folder Sharing (making sure also that Password Protected
Sharing was also turned on), then the listing of shares via smbclient
included the Users share.  Then re-setting the BackupPC configuration to
use the Users share and everything worked fine.

So in *almost* all of my desktop boxes that are backing up to BackupPC
they are using these same settings and the Users share.  I am not sure
what is going on internally in the Windows networking that doesn't allow
smbclient to connect to the default C$ share, but I am sure that
something within Windows is stopping it.  Now I said *almost* all of my
desktop boxes are behaving this way.  The exception is my own desktop
system; BackupPC is using the default C$ share without any problem.  On
this box I do not have the Public Folder Sharing turned on, and
therefore also do not see a Users share listed in the smbclient output.
However, this box is backing up to BackupPC perfectly fine.  And a
cursory review of the network sharing options doesn't seem to find
anything pointing to why it works with the default C$ share.  If anyone
has an idea, please enlighten me.  Thanks.

Jeff