BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4

2016-05-18 14:00:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4
From: David Cramblett <david AT functionalchaos DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 10:59:20 -0700
Hey Les,

Travis-CI is just the integration point, it runs in the cloud, not on a client machine. The actual tests would be some perl testing framework, whatever is chosen, and those tests could be launched locally by the developers as well. Ideally the test-running would be built into the code base, but you could get a little creative and run them however worked best for your processes.

Travis-CI will get kicked off whenever someone submits new code to GitHub, and would run on a VM in the cloud (provided by Travis-CI) for free. Travis will run whatever testing framework is configured for the project and then report the results right on github.

I have used Jenkins, it's a nice tool and has been used by many projects. However, the Travis-CI integration into GitHub just makes it hard to beat. Many of the projects Lars mentioned used to use Jenkins and have since switched to Travis due to it's capabilities.

David

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 11:58 AM, David Cramblett
<david AT functionalchaos DOT net> wrote:
> Another options is travis-ci which has great integration with GitHub.
> Basicly we can configure the project so that when a user makes a pull
> request (submits a patch), tests are run automatically. Every person (not
> just admins) can see right on the pull request page if the tests passed or
> failed. Also, there are code coverage tools that will state if the code
> testing coverage has decreased or increased with the patch submitted.

I haven't used travis so I can't compare them, but I don't see
anything about it running on windows.  Jenkins can run in
client/server mode where an agent runs on an assortment of different
client machines (basically anything that runs java) to
build/test/automate across a set of different platforms or do things
that require a set of different operations done in parallel or
sequenced across different machines.  I never ran it against github
but with its large user base and set of plugins I'd expect that to be
a common setup.

David Cramblett