BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4

2016-05-18 12:16:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4
From: Richard Alloway <ralloway AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 12:16:07 -0400
I do have some lab resources available to me for standing up and tearing down VMs of various OS flavors.
The resources are not limitless, but more than I have on my personal machines.

We've been using puppet and ansible for some of our internal test automation.  One or both may be candidates for automated testing of BackupPC.

The way work allows me to spend time on Open Source projects is to work on issues reported to some form of bug tracker, so as long as there is an open issue that I feel I can tackle, I can try to get time to work on it in our next sprint.  If you want to create an issue in github, I'll include it in our next sprint planning meeting.

As a little background, I've been using BackupPC for probably 9 years or more, personally and professionally, with Linux and Windows clients and am excited that the project is going to continue to grow and develop!

-Rich

---------------------------------
He's just this guy... ya know?!
---------------------------------

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Richard Alloway <ralloway AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> I have the following available:
>
> 1) Perl programming
> 2) C programming
> 4) Git/CVS/Development skills
>
> If I can get approval to do any of this on work's dime (which I think I can
> do, since contributing to Open Source projects is part of my job), I should
> be able to get a little of 5:
>
> 5) Time
>
> Is there anything that I can do at this time to get set up for contributing
> to BackupPC?

I think a test suite of some sort that can exercise most of the xfer
methods with a round trip through the compression code will be
important if there is a larger team of people making changes.   I've
always been impressed by the lack of serious bugs in Craig's releases
and wondered how he did it.   If you have access to a lab with a few
VM's it would be great to automate tests across a few OS distributions
and versions  - especially tracking changes in the samba and rsync
code.   I'm retired now and no longer have access to lab resources or
anything running backuppc so I can't do much but it is such a great
project that I'd like to see it continue.