BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] github setup

2016-05-18 03:12:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] github setup
From: Lars Tobias Skjong-Børsting <lists AT relatime DOT no>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 09:11:19 +0200
On 16/05/16 23:34, Mauro Condarelli wrote:

>> It is not possible to *enforce* it on GitHub, but it is possible to have
>> it as a policy that one committer should comment LGTM before another
>> committer can merge the PR.
> Nice.
> I am not familiar with github policy setup.
> How is that done?

It's not possible to setup something with Github, it's only a way to do
things. That means we should "kindly ask" all committers to wayt for at
least one LGTM review before merging the PR. Just as you suggested. :-)

> I see no way to insert this in workflow.

Correct – not possible.

> This way committers could rely on LGTM tags even if they are not able / have
> not the time
> to dig into details of specific patches.

Yes, we could create a LGTM tag instead of just commenting.

> Uhm..."reviewers" and "committers" could also be separate teams (possibly
> overlapping)

I guess we can, and all committers should be in the reviewers team.
However at this point we need to get to more than 3 committers, which I
think is more important. So I don't think a reviewers team is strictly
necessary yet. Also, I think it's not as cool to be on the reviewers
team, so maybe we'll never have any applicants.

>> We use this policy at my office and it works quite well.
>
> Can You elaborate, please?
> This sounds very interesting.

It's just an easy to use way to get two persons to review a PR. It's not
anything more elaborate than what I have written, really, it's very
simple. Which is, maybe, why it works so well. :)

--
Best regards,
Lars Tobias