BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4

2016-05-16 10:31:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 00:31:23 +1000
Hi,

I've trawled through my inbox, and submitted a few issues that I was
able to find. Right now, I would suggest the highest priority issues are
1 and 4.

If you are knowledgeable with C, then please take a look at issue 1, I
suspect this could be as simple as an uninitialised variable/etc, but I
ran out of knowledge on trying to fix it.

I see 4 is marked as wishlist, though if the host being backed up has
enough files, or you keep a huge number of backups, then it will
actually never get around to doing a new backup.

eg, a host with 20 million files might take 40 hours to do the refcnt,
so you can't do daily backups.
Using BPCv3, I have my max backups configured to 99999999, and I have
over 5 years of daily backups. This client never wants to delete any
version of any file, ever...

So, just saying, IMHO, issue 4 might be more serious than a wishlist item.

Can someone review some of the many other github project of backuppc,
and see if there are relevant patches that can be absorbed? That could
also be a great starting point.

I feel that after a number of attempts to make this happen, some
progress is being made (I found a number of threads in my email where
this development issue was discussed, and until now they died with no
action. I think this time we just might have the right people and the
right timing to get critical mass.

Regards,
Adam