BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow

2016-01-27 14:56:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow
From: Gandalf Corvotempesta <gandalf.corvotempesta AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 20:56:09 +0100
> Your $Conf{FullKeepCnt} = 1, which means to keep 1 filled backup. (Not
> necessarily 1 Full backup)

That's ok for me. Probably i'll increase that to 2, but even 1 would be ok

> After a successful backup (full or incr), the most recent is your 1 filled
> backup, and so it removes the oldest filled which happens to be your
> previous Full.  Then it'll try to take a new Full on the next run.

That's wrong.
Ok to remove the "fill" from older backups (according to my
FullKeepCount setting)
but AFAIK, this should remove common files between the filled backup
and the previous one.

A sort of reverse incremental, where the last backup is always a full
copy and the previous
backup is a differential backup storing only different files

Actually is removing the WHOLE backup, making some days unavailable to restore.

> You might have stumbled upon an edge case where FullKeepCnt <
> FullKeepCntMin.  And I also wonder about the integrity of the incr backups
> where the filled source of reverse deltas has been removed (i.e. #1, based
> upon #2, but then #2 was removed after successful completion of #3).

Exaclty what i'm trying to understand. If the filled backup is missing, probably
al subsequent unfilled backup would be inconsistent.

> But yeah, experiment with FullKeepCnt?  If you want to take 1 full every 30
> days, then FullKeepCnt = 2 ... I would think.

Already tried with no luck. BPC is still deleting the whole backup.

> At the very least, thanks for bringing some more v4 attention to the list.

v4 is a great software, but actually, is impossible to use.
Probably there is something wrong in my configuration, but i've posted
all customized parameters (mostly the retention levels) to the list
and noone told me about possible issues.