BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow

2016-01-26 15:16:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow
From: Stephen <stephen AT email.unc DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 15:13:33 -0500
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:

> <gandalf.corvotempesta AT gmail DOT com>:
>> As expected, srv3 is now in "delete #0" phase.
>
> I think that BPC is trying to remove "common" files between the last
> executed backup and the previous one
> because filled is only the last.
>
> So, in case of #1, it tries to remove common files from #0, but for
> some strange reason, is removing all files and the whole backup.
>
> The same happens for every backup. With #3, it remove the whole #2.

Have you seen this in the v4 docs?:

<quote>
$Conf{FullKeepCnt} = 1;

     Number of filled backups to keep. Must be >= 1.

     Note: Starting in V4+, deleting backups is done based on Fill/Unfilled,
not whether the original backup was full/incremental. reasons these
parameters continue to be called FullKeepCnt, rather than FilledKeepCnt. If
$Conf{FillCycle} is 0, then full backups continue to be filled, so the
terms are interchangeable. For V3 backups, the expiry settings have their
original meanings.

     In the steady state, each time a full backup completes successfully the
oldest one is removed. If this number is decreased, the extra old backups
will be removed.
</quote>

Re-read the last paragraph.

A similar admonishment applies to IncrKeepCnt:

<quot>
Note: Starting in V4+, deleting backups is done based on Fill/Unfilled, not
whether the original backup was full/incremental. For historical reasons
these parameters continue to be called IncrKeepCnt, rather than
UnfilledKeepCnt. If $Conf{FillCycle} is 0, then incremental backups
continue to be unfilled, so the terms are interchangeable. For V3 backups,
the expiry settings have their original meanings.

In the steady state, each time an incr backup completes successfully the
oldest one is removed. If this number is decreased, the extra old backups
will be removed.
</quote>

Now, all of that said... I'd suggest you change your FullKeepCnt value to 2
(or greater) and see what happens; there may be a hidden edge-case there. I
have not seen the problem you're having. My "Schedule" settings are:

FullPeriod: 29.5
FillCycle: 0
FullKeepCnt: 5, 0, 6, 0, 2, 0, 1
FullKeepCntMin: 1
FullAgeMax: 90
IncrPeriod: 0.5
IncrKeepCnt: 30
IncrKeepCntMin: 1
IncrAgeMax: 30

You may also want to read the FillCycle setting documentation. It can
affect which backups are filled/unfilled, but I'd recommend changing only
one variable at a time.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Stephen