BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow

2016-01-27 14:42:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow
From: Kris Lou <klou AT themusiclink DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 11:19:06 -0800
I've spent entirely too much time reading the v4 docs, but here's how I interpret it (and take with a grain of salt as I don't run v4):

Your $Conf{FullKeepCnt} = 1, which means to keep 1 filled backup. (Not necessarily 1 Full backup)

After a successful backup (full or incr), the most recent is your 1 filled backup, and so it removes the oldest filled which happens to be your previous Full.  Then it'll try to take a new Full on the next run.

You might have stumbled upon an edge case where FullKeepCnt < FullKeepCntMin.  And I also wonder about the integrity of the incr backups where the filled source of reverse deltas has been removed (i.e. #1, based upon #2, but then #2 was removed after successful completion of #3).

But yeah, experiment with FullKeepCnt?  If you want to take 1 full every 30 days, then FullKeepCnt = 2 ... I would think.

At the very least, thanks for bringing some more v4 attention to the list.

-Kris

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 9:04 AM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote:
Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote on 2016-01-27 11:28:24 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow]:
> [basically the same thing over and over again]

In case it's not obvious, adjust the settings so they specify to do what you
want. Before that, preferably, understand the settings. Use the suitable tool
for your purpose. You keep repeating that you get no advantage from pooling,
because all your files constantly change, and thus you must keep only minimal
history. But you want to restore things you are not keeping. Strange.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger