BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Slow transfer via rsync?

2015-09-28 13:54:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Slow transfer via rsync?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: cvoelker AT knebb DOT de, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 19:52:35 +0200
Hi,

Christian Völker wrote on 2015-09-28 14:55:35 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Slow
transfer via rsync?]:
> [...]
> Why is it still so slow?

it's been mentioned before, though not explicitly. What is the RTT over the
VPN (i.e. between BackupPC server and client host)?

How many files are we talking about? Is the firewall blocking (any) ICMP
traffic between the two endpoints? A share "/srv" suggests this probably isn't
Windoze ;-). Is there anything special about this client host (kernel version,
distribution release, ...)? Can you use tcpdump to look at the characteristics
of the connection (e.g. is there a constant (slow) exchange, or are there
hangs, timeouts, retransmissions)?

Is your OpenVPN connection over TCP or UDP? Tunnelling TCP over TCP might give
such problems, depending on the characteristics of the underlying network
(e.g. significant packet loss/congestion).

All of that said, the *first* backup of a host is usually special in that all
data not already in the pool (which might in this case mean all data) needs to
be compressed. The *second* backup may add rsync checksums. All of this might
show up as CPU usage, I/O waits, etc., but it might also just add some more
latency to the network latency. If your first backup has been running for 24
hours, that is merely twice the time a quick best case estimate gives. I'd be
annoyed, but I'd give it some more time before starting to worry. Granted, the
failing backups on the old host *are* something to worry about. ClientTimeout?
Also, the network usage you are seeing is way too low and seems to indicate
that you will reach the point when worrying is warranted ;-).

Regards,
Holger