BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Slow transfer via rsync?

2015-09-27 17:29:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Slow transfer via rsync?
From: Bzzzz <lazyvirus AT gmx DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 23:27:43 +0200
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 22:48:43 +0200
Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de> wrote:

> Hi guys,

Hi Chris,

…
> The connection is now a 5Mbit/s (uplink) leased line with fixed IP
> (connected through OpenVPN to the BackuPC host).  The backup takes
> ages!

How much is the downlink? (rsync needs a good deal of bi-dir exchanges)

> When calculating with a 5Mbit/s linke 27GB should be transferred within
> ~15hours. Here, the initial full backup is not yet done and is already
> running more than 24hours!

Make sure you only use one compression order in any place (either
backuppc or openvpn, NOT both).

And as you have a fixed IP address, why not simply use a regular SSH
connection instead of openvpn? (I've seen it ridiculed by a simple
remote desktop connection on w$…)

Jean-Yves