BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] off-site storage

2014-08-14 14:19:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] off-site storage
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 13:18:07 -0500
On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Norman Goldstein <normvcr AT telus DOT net>
wrote:
> Ok, fair enough, and good to know. Thanks for that.
>
> The suggestion below is to have a 2nd installation of BPC,
> on another local machine.  How would you "point" /var/lib/BackuPC
> to the cloud target location?  It is also the home folder for the
> backuppc user.
>
> Or, do you mean to set up a BackupPC server in the cloud?

Yes, a complete off-site server is the straightforward approach.  It
could be a VM from some 'cloud' service provider as long as it looks
like a normal machine with a filesystem that supports hardlinks.
However using a real machine has the advantage that you can make your
initial full runs locally where you have bandwidth, then move it
offsite where rsync will only have to xfer the changes (even for
subsequent full backups of the same targets).   You can use openvpn to
a host on your network to get encrypted access over the internet if
necessary.    The issue in doing it any other way is that it is
extremely difficult to replicate all of the hardlinks that backuppc
uses for pooling.   The alpha 4.x version may be better about this,
but I don't think anyone has much experience with it yet.